Monday 15 November 2010

Thursday 4th November 2010 - Kirkwall, The Italian Chapel And Stromness

After another hearty breakfast it a case of paying my bill and walking back into town. I spent the best part of the morning walking about and exploring nooks and crannies that I had somehow missed.

Groatie Hoose
St Olaf's Kirk Door
The Peedie Sea, The Causeway And Kirkwall Bay
The Big Tree In Albert Street
Ba Game Plaque

At 11 o'clock I was back in St Magnus' Cathedral for my guided tour of the roof. The next hour was spent in the company of a small band of others and led by an informative and enthusiastic guide.

St Magnus' Cathedral

Looking Along West Nave From Roof
View Over The Town And The Peedie Sea

View Of Doorway In West Nave

From such a height a different perspective of the magnitude of the cathedral itself and the layout and development of Kirkwall as well can be better appreciated.

This interesting hour was followed by a lovely light lunch in a cafe next to the Cathedral before heading to the bus station and catching the bus to St Margaret's Hope. I was going to have a look at the famed Italian Chapel out by Scapa Flow and the Churchill Barriers. The day was becoming more windy with blustery showers and after asking the bus driver how long I had before he was to make the return journey, I was dropped off at the track leading up to the Chapel itself.

The Italian Chapel


St George & The Dragon
View Towards Altar
Tabernacle

It was deserted and to think of the history behind its construction was incredibly moving. Not only did it provide shelter within from the elements on a day such as today, but it also provided a place to contemplate while the storm raged without; much as it did after its construction during World War II by the Italian prisoners of war who found themselves held there while the war raged far beyond the islands' shores. How they achieved the creation of such a thing of beauty is a remarkable story indeed.

Warning Sign Approaching Causeway

Catching the returning bus back to Kirkwall allowed me enough time to catch the connecting Stromness bus back for my last night in the Asgard B&B.

Yes! The door was open and I walked into my room and had a shower prior to going out to explore the town before it got dark. On the way out, I bumped into Dawn, joined later by Harald, and we chatted for half an hour or so before I left for my last wee lock around Stromness. Stromness is a lovely wee place and worth another visit. I discovered many of its hidden secrets but didn't have enough time to take in it all. Definitely worth another visit.

The Street
Anchor
Hudson Bay Company's Watering Well
'Liberty' Cannon
George Mackay Brown's House (Last Blue Door On The Right)
Pier Arts Centre (Former Hudson Bay Company Agency And Store)


The evening was rounded off by a drink in the Ferry Bar before the walk back to the Asgard and my bed. It was an early start the next morning and Dawn was to leave a packed breakfast in the 'fridge for me to take the next morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment