Monday 15 November 2010

Friday 5th November 2010 - Journey Home

An early start at a God awful hour saw me collect my breakfast from the 'fridge and, closing the door quietly behind me, I set off for the ferry terminal and the morning sailing to Scrabster. The morning darkness picked out the shadowy shape of the Old Man of Hoy as the ferry sailed across the relatively calm Pentland Firth and the awaiting bus that was to take me to Thurso Station and my connecting train to Inverness.

The journey down was a chance to nod off and catch up on my sleep with the occasional awakening to admire the scenery as the train made its way south.

A change at Inverness and it was on to Perth before joining the busy train from Aberdeen on the final leg to Glasgow. An argument with a passenger over my reserved seat was the highlight of this leg of my journey. Rather than hold up proceedings on a crowded train, I sat on the available seat across fom her, but before disembarking at Glasgow I pointed out her 'supposed' ignorance of the seat numbering system. Whether she was well aware of this, I couldn't really tell but I suspect she was. I was in a hurry to catch my connection back to Carluke and I couldn't be arsed anyway.

I just made it on time and was home about 10 hours after setting out from Stromness. A great wee break and one I intended to repeat perhaps in the summer.

If you want view my photo gallery for this click here and then click the slideshow icon.

No comments:

Post a Comment